Saturday, November 14, 2009

Top-end Rebuild, Part 6

Some of the procedures I'm doing requires specialty tools specific to the job. The above picture depicts a lifter block tool that is used to align the blocks when installing said blocks. This insures that the oil galley/holes line up correctly to ensure proper lubrication to the lifters. I didn't want to purchase these tools for just one time use, so...I fabricated them.

I took some 1/4-20 bolts 2" long and wrapped the thread to protect them.
I then took some two part epoxy putty, kneaded it together and applied to the bolts in a pyramid shape.
After epoxy hardened I chucked the bolt up in the drill press and using a file I "lathed" the part into shape.

These are close to the finished product. Just a little more fine filing and I was there.This tool pictured and the lifter block alignment tool pictured above I made after getting the idea from Todd8080 at Todd's Harley Pix. The clearances are so tight between the rocker boxes and frame that you need this allen wrench tool for 4 of the fasteners.

No comments: