Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Top-end Rebuild, Part 2

I got the tunes rocking and started in on the wrenchin'
I started by getting the "Bible" out to have handy if needed.
You start at the top and work your way down.
Fuel tank on the bench, away from the gas water heater, don't want to go ka-boom!
Have the console laid back out of the way.
It really gets dusty and dirty up under the tank.
I'm going to go through the carb while it's off. I had a intake leak that I found.
The intake manifold to the head gasket was cooked.
This is the rear intake port. This is the gasket surface that had the cooked gasket.
I am the original owner of this bike. I have never had the intake manifold off
prior to this job. Notice the manifold is bent. It must have been dropped on the assembly line.
Anyone have an extra one laying around?
I've been anal about service on this bike, changing the fluids what some
say is excessive, every 2500 miles. Look how clean the interior surfaces are!image
Keep in mind this motor has 60,000 miles.


I'll get the other head and the cylinders off tomorrow and to the machinist.
I'm leaning to the Screamin' Eagle cast pistons with 10.0 to 1 compression.
The cam that I'm running will bring the compression down around 9.47 to 1.
Going to go with the stock heads, stock thickness head gaskets, just freshen them up.
Any suggestions, I only want to do this once.



No comments: