Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Top-end Rebuild, Part 12

While waiting for the base gaskets to arrive I repainted the cylinder heads.
So, I taped off all the pertinent areas.
The EPA will not allow the MoCo to ship acrylic paint to the great Kommunist state of Kalifornia.
Therefore I was unable to use the paint that may have been the best.
So, I purchased a can of high temperature barbecue paint.
The finish of the paint is suppose to "texture". I tested a small area and
then helped it along with a heat gun.
The head on the left is done and the head on the right is ready for the tape to be removed and the edges to be cleaned.
I was happy with the results that I was getting. I gave the heads three heavy coats of paint.
After 15 minutes I got a rag and some denatured alcohol, rubbing the
machined edges to expose the shiny. I allowed the heads to sunbathe
in the California sun (75 degrees) for three full days to cure.

1 comment:

Rhondasue said...

Is heat gun another name for hair dryer?? It looks nice what ever you are doing. all clean and shiny.