Sunday, December 6, 2009

Top-end Rebuild, The Assembly

After the gaskets on back order were received, the parts were all cleaned and ready for the install, I got started with the assembly. I realized that the assembly was just the reverse of the disassemble so I didn't take any pictures and just concentrated on the job at hand.

Getting the pistons into the cylinders with the proper orientation was about the only stumble I had. The pistons are marked "Front" or "Rear" with an arrow that needs to point to the front of the engine. After I got the rear piston/cylinder mounted to the connecting rod I looked into the cylinder and noticed I had mounted the arrow pointing rearward instead of forward! When transferring the assembly to the engine, I hadn't taken into effect of working backward on the bench and then transferring the assembly to the bike. One picture I did take is of me putting oil on a head bolt just before installation. The torquing of the head bolts is a series of four sequences in a cross pattern ultimately getting all head bolts torqued to 42 ft. lbs.

This is one of four push rod tubes that was assembled and ready for installation. They are two piece with "O"-rings on each end and one in the middle.
New spark plugs, this one is getting a coat of anti-seize. Anytime you put steel spark plugs in aluminum heads you should apply anti-seize.

1 comment:

Carly Smoker said...

Thanks for the tip. If I ever put steel plugs in aluminum heads I will apply anti-seize. Or better yet I will have you do it for me :)

I really wish I knew what you were talking about.