Saturday, June 7, 2008

International Union of Operating Engineers

The International Union of Operating Engineer's which I'm a member, held it's semi annual business meeting today. I rode down to the Union Hall in downtown Los Angeles, then made an all day ride out of it.

On the way down to Los Angeles from Bakersfield you pass by Pyramid Lake, it's at 3000' elevation

Pyramid Lake is a lake formed by Pyramid Dam on Piru Creek, near Castaic, California. The 386 foot (118 m) tall earth and rock dam was built by the California Department of Water Resources and was completed in 1973. Pyramid Lake is part of the California Aqueduct, which is part of the California State Water Project. Downstream is Castaic Lake, which is the terminus of the west branch of the aqueduct. Pyramid and Castaic act as the upper and lower reservoirs for a 1,495 megawatt pumped storage hydroelectric plant. It is the deepest lake in the California Water Project system. Its name comes from the Pyramid Rock, created when a ridge was cut through in 1932 by the Ridge Route Alternate (US 99). Pyramid Rock still exists directly in front of the dam.I arrived at the Hall around 11:00 A.M. This is a mural that was painted on the side of the Hall.The "rat" is an epithet used to describe a non-union contractor, a large inflatable rat is set up outside the offending job site.Here's the "Rat" looking over the barbecue that was put on for all that attended.I guessed that there was 150-200 members that showed. I talk to a couple of members that came in from Las Vegas. There was maybe 20 or so motorcycles that rode in.I was the "Lone Wolf" that rode down from Bakersfield.When I left the Union Hall I headed west, my intention was to get to the coast then ride north up the coast. Between where I was and where I was going, I ran into the Farmers Market of Los Angeles.
In July 1934 a contingent of farmers pulled their trucks onto an expanse of empty land at the property known as Gilmore Island at the corner of Third and Fairfax in Los Angeles. They displayed their produce on the tailgates of their vehicles, to their delight; customers quickly arrived and parked their cars on a hastily created dirt parking lot in spaces designated with chalk. They strolled among the trucks purchasing fruit, vegetables and flowers.The Clock Tower, shown here, was relocated to its current location in the plaza in 2002. A time capsule was embedded within the stone base so future generations of Angelenos can catch a glimpse of the Farmers Market at the turn of the millenium.Just happened that a car show was going on , so I took a short stroll and took a few pictures.I finally found the Pacific Coast Highway and headed north, here is the Santa Monica pierOld BMW, very clean.I took Malibu Canyon Road East off the Pacific Coast Highway. I somehow had the impression that this road was a desirable ride, man was I mistaken, it was car after car. I should have stayed down by the coast.

Click on the above picture to enlarge, you'll see all the cars!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pretty good ride. We spent the day visiting Kyle and family at the hospital.
Buzz